The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1G rear sway bar = GVR4 sway bar?

Terry Posten

Are these two models interchangeable as far as rear sway bars go?

I think they should be considering you cam swap entire sub-frames.

Anybody have the answer?

Terry Posten

That is what I thought.

Next question, is the stock 1G bar better than the stock GVR4 bar or are there certain models/years to look for?

Last edited:

BluFalcon

I think if you still have the 4WS rear pump installed, the 1G DSM swaybar won't fit. I believe it's not as thick as the GVR4 one either. When I bought Howard's car I robbed the Suspension Techniques rear sway bar he had on his car for mine. Swapped in a used 1G AWD bar since had already eliminated the 4WS. The part numbers are different in CAPS between the two bars.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

I have a 4 bolt diff but still have the rack in place. Pump and lines are gone.

BluFalcon

I can't remember if the clearance issue with the 1G bar was the rear steering rack, the pump or both. I'm thinking the rack itself was the biggest obstacle.

Diego

I was sure there was a clearance issue as well, the 4ws pump is big an obnoxious, so the area of the rear is diggernt on the bar to accomidate that pesky pump, but if you just take the rack out you should be fine.....

broxma

It's the rack I am pretty sure. The bar doesn't come up over the top of where the pump sits. It goes forward from rear arms and bolts to the cross member section. The lines may also be in the way but I am not sure. I have a huge 1G rear sway on 379 but have a 4 bolt LSD and removed the RWS entirely.

/brox

Terry Posten

That is what I needed to know. Thanks.

Now to find a cheap one.

belize1334

If you're looking for aftermarket the RM bar is compatible with both 1G and GVR4 (w/ 4WS in place). It's a 15/16 bar which is roughly 23.8mm.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned